Preparing for Pickling Perfection in a CVap

CVap pickled veggies
In my heyday of contemporary cooking (call it what you will, Farm to Table, Conscious Cuisine, Haute Cuisine, whatever), preservation was (and had always been) a major trend. Preservation – in the forms of pickling, fermenting, smoking, curing etc. – are all ways to preserve the season you are...

Fried Chicken and Steamed Rice Held in CVap Stay So Nice!

Uncle Jack Fried Chicken
Uncle Jack Fried Chicken is a Malaysian restaurant chain that uses our Collectramatic pressure fryers to cook fried chicken. Ordinarily they placed the finished chicken in a display warmer for serving. To maximize holding time, they limited the warmer to 35°C (95°F), putting a limit on the amount of...

Celebrating National Hispanic History Month with CVap-style Tamales!

pork tamales
September 15 marks the beginning of National Hispanic History Month. This 30-day observation celebrates the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. Enjoying the flavors and culinary influences of this diverse group is a great way...

CVap Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables a la Thomas Keller

CVap Roasted Chicken
What’s more comforting or satisfying than a beautifully roasted chicken with fresh root vegetables? And how wonderful does the kitchen smell while everything is cooking? The following recipe was prepared and shared with us by our friend, the late Chef Jim Whaley. It is an adaptation of Thomas Keller’s...

Water – The Good, the Bad, and the Funky

water, water, everywhere
 Cool facts about water: Most of Earth’s surface (nearly three-quarters) is covered with water, but only a small percentage of our water (2.5%) is fresh. The other 97.5% is salt water. Of that tiny percentage of fresh water, most (roughly two-thirds) is locked up in glaciers and ice caps....